Funded professional German language course - registration and requirements

You have successfully passed the B1 exam - after completing the integration course - and would now like to go one step further and improve your German skills? Then the funded professional German language courses from level B2 are just right for you! In this article, we will explain the requirements and how you can register for the course.

✅ Requirements - What do I need to participate?

The most important document is the authorization to participate. The authorization is issued by the job center, the Employment Agency or the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. The entitlement is valid for three months from the date of issue.

You also need your B1 certificate. If you did your B1 exam more than 6 months ago, you have to take a placement test before registering.

📝 The placement test – What do I need to know?

B2 courses are divided into 400 and 500-hour courses. A B2 German course with 500 teaching units is called a “course with a bridge element”, because the B1 knowledge is repeated and consolidated before starting with Level B2. 

The placement test checks where your B1 knowledge lies in order to assign you to either a 400 or 500-hour B2 course. The test takes about one hour and tests all four skills: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.

You can get more detailed information from the employment agency, the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees or your contact person at the job center. 

Now that you have all the required documents ready, nothing stands in the way of your registration!

📍 Registration - Where are funded professional language courses offered?

In the course network of the Job Center, you can find the language courses offered by all providers in your area. Once you have decided on a provider, you can contact them by phone or e-mail to make an appointment for registration.

You will need the following documents to register:

•    Valid certificate of eligibility (valid for 3 months from date of issue)
•    B1 certificate (if older than 6 months, a placement test must be taken)
•    Identity card / passport / residence permit

The language school employee will then make a copy of your certificate and ask for your ID. The data on the ID card will be checked and compared with your details to avoid misinformation. The original certificate must always be handed in to the course provider and will be deposited there.

The language school will then issue a confirmation of enrolment, of which you will receive a copy. 

🤝 Agreement between course participant and course provider

Another important document is the agreement between the course participant and the course provider, which you will also receive upon registration. 

The agreement contains all the important information about the course, e.g:

•    Costs: If you don’t work in a job that requires social insurance, the course is free of charge for you. A mini-job is perfectly acceptable.
•    Travel costs: If you are a benefit recipient and live at least 3 km walking distance from the training center, you can apply for a travel allowance. The course provider will take care of this for you – the cost of a monthly ticket will usually be refunded.
•    Absences: It is important that you attend the course regularly and arrive on time for class. Regulations regarding sick leave are explained in more detail in the agreement.

If you have any questions, you can ask those during registration or afterwards to the contact person at the language school.

You would like to improve your German skills? On our Learn German Blog you will find more articles about German idioms, irregular verbs or date and time in German. ⏰